Relay for Life in Mount Airy raises more than $92K | News
MOUNT AIRY, N.C. — More than $92,000 was raised for cancer research at the 18th annual Relay for Life Saturday in Mount Airy.
The Mount Airy News reported that hundreds of people attended the event at Mount Airy High School. It was dedicated to the memory of the late Relay Ambassador Griggs Hampton.
The paper reported that the event was the first Relay for Life held since Hampton died in December 2011. Hampton worked tirelessly to raise money for the charity both before and after he was diagnosed with a brain tumor.
“I’ll try to get through this without crying,” said Mount Airy Mayor Deborah Cochran, whose brother was diagnosed with leukemia in 2009. “He’s in remission now, but I still think about all those days spent on the oncology floor at Forsyth Hospital and all the folks we met along the way.”
Read more: The Mount Airy News.
Upcoming Events near Surry County
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Paraplegic killed, dragged in last week’s deadly hit and run was a husband, father of 7
- Woman charged with arson in Winston-Salem apartment fire last month
- Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools hopes move polling places
- Trial begins for man accused of passing stopped school bus, killing student in Kernersville
- Suspect sought for armed robbery of Winston-Salem business
- VSU football player pleads guilty to assaulting WSSU quarterback
- Dewey’s Bakery shares tasty Easter treats
- Bikers come from around the world to Winston-Salem for weekend races
- Chatham Co. man’s credit card ‘cloned’ and used in Winston-Salem, three suspects sought
- Police ID pedestrian struck by vehicle, dragged 3 miles in W-S